To live in Alta Utah starts with a Custom MLS Search in our Alta UT Real Estate Guide to find homes for sale, condos, houses in SLC local Real Estate area.
Alta is a town in Salt Lake County, Utah, United States. It is part of the Salt Lake City, Utah Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 383 at the 2010 census, a slight increase from the 2000 figure of 370. Alta is also the location of Alta Ski Area, a ski resort that has 500,000 visitors a year. It is known for its powder skiing and its refusal to allow snowboarding. Alta has been important to the development of skiing in Utah. Alta was founded about 1865 to house miners from the Emma mine, the Flagstaff mine, and other silver mines in Little Cottonwood Canyon. Sensationally rich silver ore in the Emma mine enabled its owners to sell the mine at an inflated price to British investors in 1871. The subsequent exhaustion of the Emma ore body led to the recall of the American ambassador to Great Britain, who was a director of the company, and Congressional hearings in Washington. An 1878 fire and an 1885 avalanche destroyed most of the original mining town, though some mining activity persisted into the 20th century. By the 1930s, only one resident, George Watson, remained in the town. Facing back taxes on mining claims he owned, Watson donated much of the land in Alta to the U.S. Forest Service. Watson stipulated that the Forest Service use the land to construct a ski area. In 1935, Norwegian skiing legend Alf Engen was hired to help develop the area, and Alta opened its first ski lift in 1938. Today, Alta is a small town, centered around the Alta Ski Area.
Information provided by Wikepedia.
Alta Real Estate Guide Listings
For additional searches please fill in your parameters in the boxes below or pick a different City Real Estate Guide.
- List View
- Map View
- Grid View
- $2,100,0005 Beds, 6 Baths3,293 sqft lot 436 sqftListing provided by Cottonwood Canyons RealtyMLS 1635771
- $1,395,0003 Beds, 4 Baths1,708 sqft lot 436 sqftListing provided by Cottonwood Canyons RealtyMLS 1633777
- 2 Beds, 2 Baths1,635 sqft lot 436 sqftListing provided by Cottonwood Canyons RealtyMLS 1623990
- $1,250,0004 Beds, 4 Baths2,230 sqft lot 436 sqftListing provided by Cottonwood Canyons RealtyMLS 1613389
- $1,450,0003 Beds, 5 Baths2,450 sqftListing provided by Cottonwood Canyons RealtyMLS 1594819
- $1,237,5003 Beds, 4 Baths2,250 sqft lot 4,356 sqftListing provided by Cottonwood Canyons RealtyMLS 1580236
- $750,0002 Beds, 2 Baths1,155 sqft lot 436 sqftListing provided by Coldwell Banker Residential Bkrg - Union HeightsMLS 1554714
- $575,0002 Beds, 1 Bath834 sqft lot 436 sqftListing provided by Coldwell Banker Residential Bkrg - Union HeightsMLS 1554713
- $1,599,0003 Beds, 4 Baths2,376 sqftListing provided by Cottonwood Canyons RealtyMLS 1548783
- $645,0001 Bed, 3 Baths1,150 sqft lot 435 sqftListing provided by Cottonwood Canyons RealtyMLS 1521418
- $1,180,0002 Beds, 3 Baths1,500 sqft lot 435 sqftListing provided by Cottonwood Canyons RealtyMLS 1521410